New Caledonia is described as the land of eternal spring. It boasts a pleasant semi-tropical climate all year round.
The summer period is between December and March, with seasonal temperatures ranging between 27 and 30 degrees Celsius.
The winter period is between April and November, with seasonal temperatures ranging between 20 and 25 degrees Celsius.
Tides are semi-diurnal. Tidal ranges around New Caledonia are generally less than 2 meters. Tidal currents at the reef passes can be quite substantial, however.
The cruising season is basically the southern hemisphere winter with early spring (September, October) being reputed to have the best weather.
The weather in New Caledonia stays semi-tropical all year round.
The Coral Sea cyclone season is between November and May. Average summer temperature hover between 25-27 degrees Celsius.
Noumea radio broadcasts the weather report on VHF 16, everyday at 6:30, 9:30, 15:15, 18:30.
They are also broadcast on the following repeater channels:
- VHF 26, Noumea area
- VHF 28,Southern sector of the Main Island
- VHF 25, Île des Pins, southern lagoon
- VHF 25, North west coast of the Main Island
- VHF 24, Northern sector of the Main Island
- VHF 23, Ouvea, Loyalty Islands
- VHF 26, Lifou, Loyalty Islands
- VHF 87, Maré, Loyalty Islands
Additional VHF Channels
- VHF 16 Emergency
- VHF 9/24/25/26/27 communication between vessels and Noumea Radio
- VHF 6/8/72 communication between vessels
- VHF 12/14 communication for pilots
- VHF 67 communication to the Port Moselle